In 2001, Stave stools were launched at the Tasmanian Wood Design Collection’s Grand Exhibition and received an exceptional award - “A furniture item with a major design component that is based on the sustainable application of Tasmanian regrowth or plantation eucalypt designed for high quality manufacture and sale.”
I first met Allan Witt when we moved to Tasmania in 2007. Our initial shared interest was with watercraft, but I was always attracted to Allan's Stave Stools.
Unfortunately Allan passed away in 2021.
It was very gratifying for me to be able to give an undertaking to Allan that I would continue to make his Stave Stools available into the future.
This text is from the WittDesign website. You can see that these Stools were close to his heart.........
Awarded Design – Well on its way to becoming a classic.
- Comfortable, light and designed to delight with a contemporary twist.
- Made in Tasmania by skilled artisans, these stools continue the honest practice of generations of island cabinet makers. This is the real deal, not just another stool churned out in a price-driven factory.
- Our timbers are selected for their beauty and strength.
- The materials (timber, upholstery and metal) are used wisely and sustainably.
Features & Benefits
Stave Stools not only look classy and are fun to use, they are light and strong – assurance that they can be handed down from generation to generation. The legs are laminated using high strength Eucalypt core veneers and selected feature veneers to the outside. This lightweight timber technology is reinforced with the stainless steel foot-ring and brackets.
The lasting look, feel and comfort comes from award winning design PLUS clever engineering AND the right selection of materials. Our leather is rated for commercial use so that the surface patina will retain its classy good look. Our foam is genuine natural latex that will retain its resilience long after synthetic foams have failed. Unlike chrome finishes, the stainless steel foot ring will endure punishing use and always look great.
- We use high strength core Eucalypt veneers supplied by Ta Ann Tasmania’s rotary peeling mill. This uses regrowth trees from Tasmania’s southern production forests.
- Rotary peeling creates little waste and requires minimal energy for drying.
- Our feature veneers come from certified Tasmanian forests and are used very sparingly.
- Since changing the core laminations from plywood to Ta Ann regrowth veneers, we have reduced the number of glue lines and manufacturing operations. So, we have improved on what was already awarded for it design and sustainability:
A furniture item with a major design component that is based on the sustainable application of Tasmanian regrowth or plantation eucalypt and designed for high quality manufacture and sale.(Tasmanian Wood Design Collection, Biennial Grand Exhibition, 2001)
- Wood is one of our most sustainable structural materials providing low embodied-energy, carbon capture and regrowth replacement.
- Stave Stools can be easily maintained from one generation to the next. All parts are easily separated and easily refurbished. You can even update your colours by removing the upholstery shell and taking it to an upholsterer. The wooden components can also be easily refinished.